Department of statistics
Chair of the Department:
Dr., Associate Prof. Nina V. Agabekova
Statistics Department as a BSEU structural unit has been functioning since the academic year 1954/1955. The department's heads were: Dr. Associate Prof. A. Voropayeva, Dr. hab., Prof. A. Kazachenok, Dr. Associate Prof. A. Bulat, Dr. Associate Prof. I. Terlizhenko, Dr. Associate Prof. N. Timofeeva, Dr. hab., Prof. M. Novikov, Dr. Prof. I. Teslyuk, Dr. Associate Prof. L. Karpenko. Since September 2010 till the present time – Dr., Associate professor Agabekova N.V.
There are a lot of government officials among the graduates of the Statistics Department: Chairman of the National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus I. Medvedeva, First Deputy Chairman of the National Statistical Committee I. Kangro, Deputy Chairman of the National Statistical Committee E. Kukharevich.
In academic year 2018-2019 there are 17 members at the Department, 3 of them are professors (including 2 - Doctor of Economics), 8 associate professors and PhD, 4 assistants, 2 laboratories.
Statistics Department is the one in Belarus that prepares specialists in Statistics (major code 1-25 01 05).
Teaching process is carried out in accordance with the syllabus approved by Ministry of Education of Belarus and Educational standard of the major 1-25 01 05, Statistics.
The Department teaches 45 special disciplines, including the theory of statistics; statistics (including the theory of statistics and socio-economic statistics); business statistics; social statistics; population statistics; demographics; financial and banking statistics; price statistics; multivariate statistical methods; econometric modeling techniques and others.
The Department has close contacts with the National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus. Since November 2009 a branch of the Statistics Department operates in the National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus.
Many of the faculty and doctoral students are members of the Belarusian Statistics Association (BSA) established in 1998. The Association provides the connection between the Statistics Department and the Department of Mathematical Modeling and Analysis in BSU, the National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus, the National Academy of Sciences (Institute of Mathematics), Belarusian state University of Informatics and Radio Electronics, National Bank of the Republic of Belarus.
Preparation of the teaching staff is conducted through postgraduate and master's programs. Over the recent 15 years, Department members have defended three doctoral theses and 12 PhD theses.
During the period 2010-2018 professors and graduate students at the Statistics Department have published 14 books, over 200 scientific papers and 350 abstracts and conference proceedings.
Main research areas are:
- Statistical analysis and modeling of indicators of sustainable development of the economy of the Republic of Belarus;
- Development of methods of measurement and statistical evaluation of human potential in the framework of the innovative development in the Republic of Belarus (№G11-087, within the framework of the Foundation for Fundamental Research of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus);
- Formation of a strategy to regulate and limit the shadow economic activities in order to improve the safety and competitiveness of the national economy of the Republic of Belarus;
- Development of methodology and the creation of a statistical classifier to calculate summary measures of foreign and mutual trade of the Customs Union and the Common Economic Space for large groups of goods (investment, intermediate and consumer);
- Methodology of statistical modeling and analysis of flows in the system of eco-production modified by inter-sectoral linkages;
- Statistical evaluation of the use of human capital in the Republic of Belarus;
- Statistical evaluation and modeling of equilibrium to strengthen economic dynamics in the global system of export-import relations;
- Statistical evaluation of the consistency of the demographic and economic development in the Republic of Belarus and others.
In 2013 the Department carried out economic theme "Development of methodology and the creation of a statistical classifier to calculate summary measures of foreign and mutual trade between states - members of the Customs Union and the Common Economic Space for large groups of goods (investment, intermediate and consumer)", supervisor - PhD, Professor GA Korolenok. Customer - Eurasian Economic Commission. (Artists: Assoc. Agabekova NV, Assoc. Bokun N.Ch., Assoc. Makarevich E.E.)
Statistics Department was one of the organizers of the Summer School within the framework of the project «The Visby Program, Baltic-Nordic-Ukrainian network on survey statistics».
Lecturers of the department cooperate and participate:
- in international projects in the sphere of higher education and research, "extension of the theory and practice of sample surveys" (Ch. participant and coordinator - University of Umea (Sweden));
- in a joint Russian-Belarusian project "Measuring the cost of use of the environment and its restoration as a factor of sustainable development".
- preparing a country analysis report for Children's Fund (UNICEF) in the Republic of Belarus;
- in performing the theme "reserves GRP growth of Minsk in 2013-2015 based on the methodology of its calculation" (together with Minsk Research Institute of Socio-Economic Studies).
Teachers of the Department are the national experts in international projects: "Development of methodological support for sample survey of the labor force in the Republic of Belarus" (Project Coordinator - The World Bank), " Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys" (International Coordinator - Children Fund (UNICEF), National Coordinator - National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus); Situational analysis "Implementing child rights in Belarus".