Institute of Social Science and Humanities Education
Professor Laptjenok A.S., Dr. hab. (Philisophy)
The Institute of Social Science and Humanities Education (ISSHE) was founded in April 2005 with the purpose of providing a high quality training of students in social sciences and humanities, coordinating and strengthening the educational and ideological impact of social subjects and humanities, and in compliance with the labor market requirements, integration trends connected with the formation of social needs for specialists in the areas at the junction of various schools of thought, fields of knowledge and sciences such as economics and sociology, economics and politics, economics and psychology. 132 faculty members, of whom 9 have Dr. hab. degrees and 42 are Ph.D.s, ensure a high quality professional training of undergraduate and graduate students. The departments of the ISHE provide for the teaching process at all the schools of BSEU, delivering courses of lectures in social sciences and humanities.
The Director of the ISSHE is Professor Yadviga S. Yaskievich, Dr. hab. (Philisophy)
The Institute of Social Science and Humanities Education incorporates 6 departments, 3 of which are degree-granting departments. These include:
- Department of Philosophy – Head of Department, Prof. Vladimir K. Lukashevich, Dr. hab. (Philosophy)
- Department of Political Science – Head of Department, Prof. Oleg G. Bukhovets, Dr. hab. (History)
- Department of Economic History – Head of Department, Associate Prof. Yuri N. Bokhan, Dr. hab. (History)
- Department of Economic Sociology – Head of Department, Associate Prof. Vyacheslav Y. Kochergin, Ph.D.
- Department of Pedagogics and Psychology – Head of Department, Associate Prof. Galina V. Borozdina, Ph.D.
- Department of Physical Training and Sports Economics – Head of Department, Associate Prof. Sergey B. Repkin, Ph.D. (Economics)
The ISSHE departments train specialists in the following majors:“Sociology” (specialization “Economic Sociology”)
“Political Science” (specialization “Political Management”)
“Psychology” (specialization “Psychology of Entrepreneurship”)
“Sociology” (specialization “Economic Sociology”).
Students majoring in “Sociology” (specialization “Economic Sociology”) are trained to possess profound knowledge of micro- and macroeconomics, international and national economies, theory and history of sociology, and economic sociology. During the course of studies students acquire the skills of teaching social and political sciences, substantiating options in solving specific social problems, upholding an independent, well-grounded and critical opinion in discussing social, economic and political problems, independent work with various sources of information, organizing and carrying out sociological research, preventing and settling conflicts.
A diploma in “Political Science” (specialization “Political Management”) qualifies students in political, economic, social sciences and humanities. Specialists in political science can occupy teaching and administrative positions at secondary, secondary technical and vocational, and higher educational establishments, get jobs in socio-political and strategic centers and institutions, in marketing departments at enterprises, in governmental and municipal agencies.
Training specialists in “Psychology” (specialization “Psychology of Entrepreneurship”) is focused on the development of skills required for the psychological analysis of economic processes with the application of psychological methodology and its system of categories. As a result of cardinal changes that economic relations are undergoing all over the world, there is a growing need for multi-skilled specialists with deep knowledge not only in the field of economics, but also in psychology of managerial decision-making, for specialists who are ready for professional growth and social mobility, competent to participate in managerial, economic and social activities, capable of adapting to the changing economic and social environment, competitive and able to carry on a social dialogue.
Admission of full-time students in three majors was initiated at ISSHE in 2008/2009.
For the purpose of professional training of specialists and their further scientific advancement the ISSHE offers the following postgraduate courses:
- Master’s courses in “Philosophy” and “Political Science”;
- Research courses for students seeking the PhD degree in the following majors: 23.00.01 “Theory and Philosophy of Politics, History and Methodology of Political Science”, 23.00.02 “Political Institutions, Processes and Technologies”, 23.00.04 “Political Problems of International Relations of Global and Regional Development”.
The ISSHE maintains scientific partnership relations with St. Petersburg State University, Moscow State University, Volgograd State University, Kyiv Taras Shevchenko National University, the Institute of Philosophy, Institute of Social and Political Research, Institute of Europe of the Russian Academy of Sciences in the field of strategic priorities of civilization development in the 21st century and their substantiation, improving the quality of university training, provision of scientific, research and educational activities, preparation and implementation of scientific research projects, academic syllabuses and manuals for social sciences and humanities.
Major Publications of the ISSHE Staff
1. Yaskevich, Y.S., Belyavtseva, D.V. Fundamentals of Ideology of the Belarusian State: Practicum. – Minsk, 2011. – 144 p.
2. Borozdina, G.V. Fundamentals of Psychology and Pedagogics: Manual. – Minsk, 2009. – 304 p.
3. Yegorov, A.N. Political Science: Manual. Minsk, 2009. – 267 p.
4. Yaskievich, Y.S., Lukashevich, V.K. Philosophy and Methodology of Science: Manual. – Minsk, 2009. – 475 p.
5. Ethics: Manual / ed. by T.V. Mishatkina, Y.S. Yaskevich. – Minsk, 2008. – 584 p.
6. Golubovich, V.I., Bokhan, Y.N. The History of Belarus (in the context of the world civilizations). – Minsk, 2008. – 125 p.
7. Philosophy: manual for students of higher educational establishments / ed. by Y.S. Yaskevich. – Minsk, 2008. – 624 p.
8. Podgaiskaya, L.I. Economic Sociology: a course of lectures / L.I. Podgaiskaya. – Minsk: BSEU, 2007.
Location of the ISSHE Dean and Departments
- ISSHE Director – Room 212 Building 4
- ISSHE Dean’s Office – Room 404a Building 4
- Department of Pedagogics and Psychology – Room 309 Building 4
- Department of Economic Sociology - Room 307 Building 4
- Department of Philosophy – Room 706 Building 4
- Department of Political Science – Room 503 Building 1
- Department of Economic History – Room 607 Building 1
- Department of Physical Training and Sports Economics – Room 69 Sports Building